The German company Kögel Trailer GmbH & Co. KG is one of the largest manufacturers of commercial vehicles in Europe, especially semi-trailers and trailers and offer the largest selection and flexibility on the commercial vehicle market.
In 1934, Franz Xaver Kögel took over the wagon company of his employer in Neu-Ulm. Franz Xaver Kögel learned his craftsmanship in this small business and has just passed his master's degree. Motorized transport of goods skyrocketed with the development of motorways in 1934. With his car production, F. X. Kögel was within reach of a forge for the production of underbodies and trailers, which was owned by August Welte. Kögel provided sidewalls and flooring for the underbody and both companies suddenly needed to expand their business.
The merger of the two in 1956 made Kögel one of the first companies to settle in a new industrial area. The transition from a trade business to an industrial group was completed when production began in new generously sized production workshops in the Donautal industrial area. Industrial production of trailers and bodies began and sustainable growth has been achieved.
In 1968 Kögel bought another production plant in Karlsdorf near Bruchsal (Kamag) and in 1973 it acquired the vehicle manufacturer Faka-Kannenberg in Bückeburg near Hanover. After the fall of communism, they added the Werdau factory in Saxony, and in 1993 Kögel also took over the defunct production of Karel Kässbohrer's Fahrzeugwerke trailers in Burtenbach.
Kamag, a subsidiary of Kögel, is engaged in the production of heavy-duty self-propelled combinations with a payload of up to 10,000 tons, and NASA as one of their trusted customers.
In 2000, EUR 25 million went into the Burtenbach plant, which - thanks to major investments - has since become the most modern trailer factory in Europe.